As humans, we’re all guilty of complaining or murmuring every once in a while. We even complain about not having anything to wear when we have a closet full of clothes. We murmur about how we can’t find anything to eat when our refrigerators and freezers are packed with food. We covet the new gadget our friend has because ours is an older version.
You see the real problem is not the complaining or murmuring; It’s a lack of gratitude towards God.
I remember when I was in the 1st or 2nd grade, my grandma was my main guardian since my dad was in the Navy and out at sea for 6 months. We lived in a 1-bedroom apartment, along with several other relatives. I don’t remember much, but I do remember lying to my grandma about a field trip I had. I knew that she would not allow me (or at least I assumed) to go on that trip (it was a swimming trip). So what I did was I packed my backpack with extra clothes. Every weekday, she would walk from our apartment to my school which was about 10 minutes. Since I knew that we would be arriving 20 minutes before school ended, I planned it out so I had enough time to change into the same clothes I wore when she dropped me off in the morning.
Nobody taught me to lie. It’s just in my sinful nature. In spite of my wrongdoing, I am grateful for a gracious and merciful God.
The Bible gives a list of things that God hates. Now, hate is not a “crime” if you are hating on things that break God’s heart. No doubt, as the Creator and Maker of this universe, He has the right to hate whatever would draw us away from Him.
Spring is here and we all could do some spring cleaning. As much as we may need to clean out our homes, offices, or whatever else, we tend to forget or neglect a Spiritual Cleansing.
Rather than focusing on having clean homes, let’s start having clean hearts.
And here is how you can start today: Proverbs 6:16-19
- Get rid of your pride. We all have it and sometimes it can take its toll and make us into someone we will eventually regret being or cause us to do things that will disappoint. At the middle or center of the word PRIDE, is the letter “i.” How incredible is it that the whole agenda of the the person with pride is centered around one thing – themselves? In addition, NOBODY likes or enjoys the company of those that are prideful. Proverbs 16:18, Psalm 101:5,
- Stop lying. Whether you’re a young adult or an older adult reading this, we all need to be reminded that there is no such thing as a little white lie. A lie is a lie and God hates lying. Proverbs 12:19, 22, Proverbs 19:9,
- Stop shedding innocent blood. I am against abortion, simply because the Bible says it’s murder. There could be reason after reason as to why someone would commit abortion but it does not mean it’s right. “Wrong is wrong even if everyone else is doing it and right is right even if no one else is doing it.” I could go on talking about this topic but I’ll just leave it at that. Exodus 20:13
- Stop planning wicked things. Whatsoever a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. Before someone does something wicked, they think about something wicked. Actions are a result of a desire instilled in someone’s mind and heart. Proverbs 1:16, Psalm 36:4,
- Start being wise. King Solomon is the wisest man that ever lived. However, he still did some foolish things. Many of us jump into something, before getting counsel or taking deep consideration. We become so quick to run to mischief and end up hurting ourselves and sometimes, those closest to us. Proverbs 12:15, James 1:5, Proverbs 16:9
- Stop being a false witness, speaking lies. Many times, people twist the meaning of somethings. Some use the phrase, “Please pray for so & so… or Have you heard”
only to open up a can of worms. In reality, we don’t mean well when we say this; rather we are wanting to start the game of Telephone. This game can start off by having two teams or groups. Each group forms a line. The leader then whispers a phrase to the first person in line and that person is to repeat whatever the he/she heard to the next person and so on… The only catch is you are only allowed to say “the phrase” one time. The first of last person in each group to say the correct phrase wins. The point of this game is what you hear is not always the truth and when stuff gets spread, it becomes gossip and what was mentioned in the beginning becomes twisted, many times, far from the truth. Proverbs 16:28, James 1:26, Proverbs 20:19, Exodus 23:1
- Stop sowing discord among brethren. I have heard that the only army that shoots down itself is the Christian army. As sad as that sounds, there’s some truth to that. How often do Christians criticize, discourage, or gossip about other Christians? It happens way too much in Christian circles and it ought not to. How is the world, (the unsaved) supposed to want to have what we have if we don’t act & live what we “preach?” Romans 16:17-18, James 4:11
So whether you’re the person with the cleanest home or the the person that is constantly trying to clean your house but stuff shows up out of nowhere, we could all use a Spring Cleansing of our Hearts during this season and we can start by applying this list.